Week of December 10, 2017
They said there would be a LOT crammed in to the end of the year, and they were right! The Tax Scam and DACA are paramount, but there’s an issue for everyone. So grab a cup of coffee and get busy RESISTING!
Special tip: Remember that if you can’t get through on the phone, you can always fax, email, or leave a comment on your representative’s Facebook page or Twitter feed.
TRUMP TAX SCAM: NOT A DONE DEAL!
Republicans from the House and Senate are negotiating a combined Tax Scam bill in a Conference Committee. On Friday, Republican members of the Committee announced that it will take longer than expected to finish the next version of the bill. That’s a good sign: there are big differences between the bills that will be tough to resolve. When they do finish, it comes back up for a vote in each chamber – and it will be close, again. Now is the time to say that we WILL NOT accept a handout to millionaires and billionaires. See the whole state of play for the Tax Scam here. Then:
- RALLY AGAIN!!! TUESDAY DEC. 12, 10:30 A.M. Contact IMB for carpooling. Facebook Event page here – please share! 14955 Dale Evans Parkway, Apple Valley, CA 92307.
- Call Rep. Paul Cook and tell him to vote no! on the tax bill.
- Call Senators Feinstein and Harris and let them know you’re thankful they voted against the tax scam and you hope they stay strong when the bill comes back from conference.
- Hard-hitting ads targeting Rep. Cook’s support for the tax bill are running on-line, sponsored by Americans Against Double Taxation. Like and share the ad on Facebook! Learn more about the ad campaign on Politico.
- Rep. Paul Cook defends his vote on the opinion page of the Victor Valley Daily Press, claiming the “House Tax Plan is good for working-class Americans”. Join hundreds of others in responding to Rep. Cook with a different view on his Facebook page.
- Southern California is currently experiencing catastrophic loss from wildfires, but by voting for the Tax Scam, Rep. Cook voted to end the deduction for wildfire and earthquake victims –though not recent hurricane victims. The LA Times has the story, and MSNBC calls out the California Republicans who voted for it – including Congressman Paul Cook.
- Last week’s rally was loud and energetic, with over 100 people attending. View video of the protest, and read about it in the Daily Press. Thanks to everyone who came out! Let’s do it again this Tuesday!
SENATOR FEINSTEIN AND REP. COOK, STAND UP FOR THE DREAMERS!
Last week, both the House and the Senate passed a “continuing resolution” (CR) to keep the government open for another two weeks — without including a clean DREAM Act. For three months Senate Democrats said that they would use the leverage they would have on the CR to protect DREAMers. But just 8 Senate Democrats kept their word by voting against the CR (thank you, DREAMHero Senator Kamala Harris!). The rest voted to deport Dreamers – including Senator Dianne Feinstein. As a result, in the next two weeks, 1,708 Dreamers will lose their protection under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, an Obama-era executive action that allowed them to apply for work permits and live without fear of deportation. Dec. 22 is the next opportunity Senator Feinstein and Rep. Cook will have to fight for Dreamers. Here’s what we must do:
- Call Senator Feinstein and demand she take the DREAMer Pledge! No funding bill without a clean DREAM Act! Use this sample script.
- The ACLU is running a powerful on-line ad, narrated by Rosario Dawson, calling on Rep. Cook to pass a clean DREAM Act. Share the ad, then call Rep. Cook and ask him to pass a clean DREAM Act! No funding bill without a clean DREAM Act! Use this sample script. Read more about the ACLU ad campaign in the Los Angeles Times.
- Special note on Sanctuary Cities: Rep. Paul Cook has an op-ed in the San Bernardino Sun opposing California Sanctuary City legislation (CA SB54 and AB351). You can share your opinion on his editorial on his Facebook page.
SAFEGUARD SACRED AND CULTURAL TRIBAL OBJECTS: Efforts to repatriate tribal property are hitting roadblocks within the Trump administration. While the administration delays action, Native American cultural items are continuing to leave the U.S and go across the seas to be sold. S.1400, the Safeguarding Tribal Objects of Patrimony Act, bars the export of items that are otherwise covered in the U.S. by the Native American Graves and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA) and other cultural protection laws. Get the background from our IMB Environmental Team, then call Senators Feinstein and Harris and Rep. Paul Cook and tell them to support S.1400. Sample script here.
NET NEUTRALITY: DON’T LET THE FCC SELL THE INTERNET OUT!
The FCC is about to vote to end net neutrality—breaking the fundamental principle of the open Internet—and only an avalanche of calls to Congress can stop it. FCC Chairman Ajit Pai is pushing a plan where the FCC would relinquish its authority to enforce its common-sense, light-touch net neutrality rules, thus giving telecommunications companies free rein to engage in unfair practices like site blocking, throttling, and paid prioritization—”fast lanes” for sites that pay, and slow lanes for everyone else. Senator Harris and Senator Feinstein have taken positions in support of net neutrality; Rep. Paul Cook has not. Call Rep. Cook and tell him to oppose efforts to roll back net neutrality protections. Don’t let the FCC sell the Internet out! Sample scripts here.
COOK SUPPORTS CONCEALED CARRY GUN BILL: Rep. Paul Cook voted in favor of legislation that passed the House last week to permit concealed carry license holders to conceal a handgun in other states, the first time Congress has taken action on a gun bill since President Donald Trump was sworn into office. The “Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act,” a top priority for the National Rifle Association and other gun-rights groups, passed 231-198. Rep. Cook also has received $7000 in donations from the NRA since 2012. Let Rep. Cook know what you think of his vote.
HELPING REFUGEES FROM ADELANTO: Several of the hunger-strikers released from Adelanto Detention Center are now living with ankle bracelets, for which they must pay a monthly fee of over $400 until their cases are settled even though it is illegal for them to work. The organization CIVIC is raising funds to pay off the full bond for Emmanuel, an asylum seeker from Haiti, to rid him of these shackles and this impossible monthly fee. Please consider contributing to Emmanuel’s freedom.
Previous Action Alerts can be found here.